Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympic Games


Actually, it was beautiful in many ways for me. She came to scoring seven perfect scores of 10 and won three gold medals including the prestigious All-Around. No one before or since, even as American gymnast Mary Lou Retton, gave me the same feeling about gymnastics, Nadia did.

The 76 'games are also perhaps the largest collection of American boxers of all time and I think I've seen every game. Sugar Ray Leonard, Leon Spinks, Michael Spinks, Leo Randolph and Howard Davis Jr. won gold medals and all, but Davis became professional world champions. All were of the 'Dream Team' of boxing. Before you jump on me on the U.S. boxing team in 1984, I am also aware of his greatness. The team of 1984 led to a record 11 medals, including nine gold, also a record.

Philadelphia Meldrick Taylor and Tyrell Biggs were among the gold, joining Mark Breland, Pernell Whitaker, Paul Gonzales, Jerry Page, Frank Tate, Henry Tillman and the late Steve McCrory. Evander Holyfield, probably would have been the gold medal of 10 but had to settle for the bronze medal after a controversial disqualification in a battle easily won semifinal against New Zealand Kevin Barry. But the guy who made the team of 76 as my favorite was Sugar Ray Leonard. In addition to Muhammad Ali, I have never seen a fighter so elegant inside and outside the ring.

I will not forget the contribution of Bruce Jenner does for games. Jenner before I had no idea what was the Decathlon, but after it was over, I knew it was something I did not want to be treated.